Before leaving, tell me what you liked/disliked about my site. Simply leave me a comment to one of my postings, complete the poll below, or rate the site in the designated area...and as always, it's been a pleasure serving you at Cafe' Camille!

Cafe' Patrons

Rate Your Server & Site, Etc.

6.11.2011

What's in A Word?

Originally, I was going to title this post "Mojo or No Go".  Naturally, wanting to be careful about what I was portraying, I looked up the origin of the word mojo to make sure that I was using it correctly.  I discovered that it originally meant to cast a spell or sex appeal.  That's not at all what I was going for here.  I give all of this too much info to say that I think that we have to be cautious about the words we select.  You may be shocked to find that something seemingly as harmless as the word mojo may, in fact, convey something totally different than your intentions.  I know that some will miss my point here and say "what's wrong with sex appeal or casting a spell?," but, for me as a Christian, I try not to take lightly any references to anything supernatural (magic or casting spells) being in control other than God.  I believe that it is our tendency to look over unacceptable things or dismiss the appparent "it's not really bad/not too bad" that puts us in the danger zone or at risk for straying from our morals.  If you don't believe me, just think about how only 20 years ago many words were censored on television that are now seen as harmless or the lesser of the evils.  Also, remember how violence and bloodshed was prefaced with a warning for sensitive viewers.  Now, all is fair game and considered suitable for our eyes.. we've become desensitized to violence and vulgarity to the point that we don't even wince or are less shocked to hear about crime (i.e., murders, rapes, etc.).  Let's not be blindly lead.

1 comment:

An Imperfect Momma said...

So true! DH and I were having this conversation recently. We really need to keep a track on what we say...not say it because someone else said it but because we know what it means.